A review carried out by a group of experts in early 2007 to compare the methodological differences between the RAINS and GAINS models was based on the following documentation:
- Wagner F., M. Amann, W. Schöpp. (2007) The GAINS Optimization Module as of 1 February 2007. IIASA Interim Report IR-07-004.
- Wagner F., W. Schöpp. (2007) Comparison of the RAINS emission control cost curves for air pollutants with emission control costs computed by the GAINS model. IIASA Interim Report IR-07-008.
- Wagner F., M. Amann, W. Schöpp. (2007) Methodology of the GAINS model. IIASA presentation, January 31, 2007.
- Wagner F., Schöpp W., Heyes C. (2006) The RAINS optimization module for the Clean Air For Europe (CAFE) Programmme. IIASA Interim Report IR-06-029.
- Amann M., W. Asman, I. Bertok, J. Cofala, J-P. Hettelingh, C. Heyes, Z. Klimont, M. Posch, W. Schöpp, F. Wagner. (2006) Emission control scenarios that meet the environmental objectives of the Thematic Strategy on Air Pollution. NEC Scenario Analysis Report Nr. 2, IIASA, December 2006.
The review team's conclusions are available in their report to the EU Commission.